Satyr Project–The Pants Begin…

Soooo… first I made a basic pair of black stretch pants. Basically cotton-lycra Glitter Britches with some mild ankle mods. The calves/ankles need some space to go over the boots. It occurs to me that the wisest/easiest thing would be to get shoes, not boots, and be willing to tack the pants to them for best results, but here’s the thing… IF these turn out cool, and they might be a real horrorshow, but  IF they turn out well, then I may want to wear them again. And mama don’t wear regular heels. I’m a boot girl forever. So. I make things harder. Anyway–base pants:


With some stand-in heels until the real ones arrive. Goddamn these shoes are uncomfortable.


The pants need structure built onto them to give the digititrade shape. I read about a million opinions on how to do this– luckily furries are pretty helpful crafters. First I tried carving foam, which resulted in my whole studio looking like this:

ImageBut I couldn’t get a result I liked. I think if I had gotten thicker foam, and sprung for an electric carving knife, I could have pulled it off, but as it was, it was just frustrating. So now I have a lot of extra foam. Dog bed making time, perhaps…

After scrapping the foam idea, I decided to build pillows onto the pants. Here’s the pillows being pinned on. The shape is starting to come together…ImageHere they are with all the pads. I added a bit of bum padding, as it looked sort of off without it.   Bum padding!



Next I needed to make a duct-tape wrap to make the fur pattern… except in Crockett we have ONE, count it, ONE store/video rental/bait shop, and while they did have duct tape, it was about a dollar a foot. They have a bit of a monopoly. So I made a masking tape dummy, which I can’t say was the best move, but, you work with what you have.

Here I am as a goat-mummy. Those shoes are really freaking me out.ImageImage

After wrapping myself, I required one of these: 

Image…and then all was well again. 

I cut the tape off, and it’s ready for patterning. Image

I’ve never made a pattern this way before. Pray for me.


Tomorrow we’re going in to the city–fur shopping! 



Satyr Project

I’ve recently learned that my beloved alma mater, MECA, is gaining a fashion design department. This is incredible news, though a part of me is going WTF WHY AM I NOT STILL ENROLLED WHYYYYYY?!?! In any case, they’re having a “wearable art” fashion show to kick it all off, which of course I simply must apply to. Double excitement–this gives me the opportunity to do something AWESOME.

I’ve learned and grown so much over the last 2 years with BeastWares, and I’m itching to stretch these new skill-muscles. The brand is SO much fun, but it does limit me. Anything I want to design for the line, I have to consider making it fifty more times, and then selling it at a price point that is both reasonable and yet allows me to pay rent. Damn rent. So that gorgeous $8 a yard trim that requires hand sewing to apply? No, put it back. The super-complicated 20-piece asymmetrical pattern that takes 2 days to cut and assemble? Oh hell to the no. This is my chance to go balls out and make something just as amazing as I can.

The Concept:

I’m just going to say it: I love costuming. It makes me so sad when Project Runway judges rip on something for being “costumey”. I get what they’re saying, but pick a different word, like “obvious” or “cliche” or even “party city”. And, while you’re at it, PLEASE stop saying “chic”. Ugh.

But I digress.

Costumes are fantastic. The ability to transform yourself is both fun and powerful, and probably good for you.  A really good costume doesn’t just look good, it allows to let go of your notions of self, to take a vacation into another character. It’s even better if you’re making the costume yourself–that’s a kind of magic. I present, as exhibit A, a shot from last Halloween :


And the year before:


Love it.

Recently I’ve been working with a friend who completely gets this stuff. He’s a master of the costume-as-power-object arts. I’ll be making him a lion headdress for an upcoming music video, which has me in the realm of spirit animals. For this project I’m going to do a personal channelling of that idea, and make a satyr. There’s just something about this particular creature that resonates with me; I think it’s the combination of powerful associations with goats–playfulness, aggression, fertility… also the Celtic goddess Nemetona is playing a role in there. Image

Sartorial philosophy aside, this project has several main components to build:





For the shoes, I’ve bought a pair of these:


The cutout heel helps with the hoofiness, and I’m going to build up the front in to a cloven shape using plastic, paper clay and liquid latex.

The outer pants will be synthetic fur, in a combination of brown, black and white, with an attached goaty tail. The base will be and under-layer of stretch pants with attached padding to give structure and simulate a digitrade leg.

Some sketches of pants and boots:


The headdress will be an aviator-style hat in metallic leather, like this lovely stuff:

ImageI’ll make goat-style ears of the leather as well. I plan to attach real goat horns to the crown, which could get interesting as I haven’t worked with horn and bone much, but I have faith. Finally, I’m going to make synthetic dreadlocks, like these, but in autumnal colors:

Imageand attach them down the middle to form a colorful mohawk. I may do some rivets or other decorative elements as well.

Some sketches of the headdress, (with escaped pants plans thrown in):


The top, so far, is planned as a basic bandeau made out of the same leather as the headdress, possibly involving some elastic, probably lacing up to close. Not too sure about the finer details there yet– need to actually get and play with the leather.

That’s the basic schematic… come on, UPS, bring me my toys!